Iced Matcha Latte like Starbucks? Nope, like Matcha Cafe Bali!
Matcha green tea is very healthy, but the way you prepare it makes a big difference. At Matcha Cafe Bali we believe in living with a healthy food routine, but sometimes "cheating" and allowing yourself something extra is very much welcome! That being said our standard Iced Matcha Latte is very much on the healthy side, but you could customize it anyway you like, for example by adding your favorite syrup (we love Fabbri syrups).
Our iced matcha latte recipe is very simple, we use only 5 ingredients (including water and ice) but quality makes all the difference. The sugar content is almost 0 and it's given by adding 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. We also use vanilla and other syrups like mojito and raspberry, but those are extras and have high sugar content.
We use our Master Ceremonial grade matcha because it tastes divine! But you can also use a lower grade. Remember high quality matcha has a sweeter and gentle taste, while lower quality get more bitter. Our matcha is from Uji in Japan and it's absolutely pure and top quality.
The major difference between the way we make it and other places, like Starbucks, is the fact that at Matcha Cafe Bali we craft our own milks and we do not add any sugar! In this recipe we are going to use our house-made almond milk, but if you don't have time we recommend using your favorite unsweetened plant-based milk.
Tools you need
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- House-made or unsweetened almond milk
- Sift the matcha powder with a food sifter in your chawan bowl.
- Pour a small amount of water (about 50ml or a quarter cup) of hot water (not boiling, 70°C-160°F is ideal) into the bowl and whisk vigorously in a zig zag motion until the tea is frothy.
- Add the vanilla extract and another 50ml of hot water, gently stir with your bamboo whisk a put aside for a moment.
- Take a tall glass and fill half of it with cold milk.
- Add enough ice cubes to fill the glass.
- Now pour over your matcha and voilà! Enjoy your iced matcha tea latte
If you like a sweeter taste feel free to add sugar, honey or maple syrup.
There's many beautiful articles about matcha and its benefits, among others we recommend reading this one on Time Magazine and another one in Italian on Corriere della Sera Io Donna.